Is the US stock market better off now than at the end of 2000?
fâhç
2004-05-11 02:50:52 UTC
The past several times I've asked this question the neo-cons got their
panties in a bunch and exclaimed that I was "lying" (these numbers are
verifiable facts) and that the markets are rising rapidly. So I've taken
the liberty of not only including Dec 29th 2000 index numbers, but also the
index numbers for the previous posts in which I've asked this question.

Dow
Dec 29 2000 10,787.99
Jan 30 2004 10,488.07
Mar 1 2004 10,678.14
Apr 28 2004 10,342.60
May 10 2004 9,990.02
change....... -797.97 (-7.4%)

NASDAQ
Dec 29 2000 2,470.52
Jan 30 2004 2,066.15
Mar 1 2004 2,057.80
Apr 28 2004 1,989.54
May 10 2004 1,087.12
change...... -1,383.40 (-56%)

Wilshire 5000 (index of 6,000+ US stocks, basically the entire market)
Dec 29 2000 12,175.90
Jan 30 2004 11,029.20
Mar 1 2004 11,289.48
Apr 28 2004 10,967.44
May 10 2004 10,548.89
change...... -1,627.01 (-13.4%)
The Pretzel
2004-05-17 15:50:29 UTC
Post by fâhç
[...]
Looks like a decline to me...

Lots of those "-" thingies....
That's bad, right?

"Thank you George W. Moron Bush!!!!"
Tazmanian Devil
2004-07-05 14:10:21 UTC
On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:50:29 GMT, "The Pretzel"
Post by The Pretzel
Post by fâhç
[...]
Suprise, Suprise. Why is no one shocked when fahc uses trunmped up
numbers to prove his point? The Stock market is in the same position
as it was when Clinton was in office...in fact, even the MSNBC
business channel on TV states this and they have both liberal and
Conserv people making their points.

In short it is just another myth from the looney left.

Check http://www.nyse.com for the REAL facts and ignore fahc's tired
and error filled rant
Tempest
2004-07-05 22:18:09 UTC
Post by The Pretzel
Post by fâhç
[...]
Surprise, surprise.

Why is no one shocked when spaz brings up Clinton?

I guess no one told him Clinton isn't president anymore.
--
"The true axis of evil in America is the brilliance of our marketing
combined with the stupidity of our people."
- Bill Maher
Big Al
2004-07-06 00:38:34 UTC
Post by The Pretzel
Post by fâhç
[...]
So you admit that in 4 years of George W. Bush, the market has not gained a
cent?

BTW, the business channel is CNBC and they are often to the right of Fox.
and error filled rant
fâhç
2004-07-15 05:10:39 UTC
Post by Tazmanian Devil
The Stock market is in the same position
as it was when Clinton was in office.
Spaz proves he's an idiot again! So you think that the stock market being
stagnant for 3 and a half years under Bush is a good thing? HAH! You are
really starting to sweat now!

=====================================

Some of the lies told and outrageous claims
made by: "Tazmanian Devil" <***@biteme.com>
Path starts at: webusenet.com

Additions to the list are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks to Tempest for starting the list
Some items now contain links to the original articles.
--------------------

1) Claimed to graduate from Ohio State in 1985 with a JD and started a
law firm. Law firm's web site lists only one founding partner who
graduated before 1985 from a different school. Law firm's web site lists
no partner who graduated from OSU in 1985.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=odu29u4pkg9fksu3u8rvgg3apqfgiqhjpq%404ax.com
http://www.gallonlaw.com/partnersmain.htm

2) Posted a version of the 6th Amendment to the Constitution with
wording that doesn't exist in the amendment.

3) Claimed that ice is made up of 90% air.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=vk0bmuc41ccn61c79jif4ceaqgp5tsnaph%404ax.com

4) Claimed that Washington State had an election in August of 2002 in
which the incumbent Democratic governor lost to a Republican challenger.
There was no such election. Not to mention that general elections are
always held on the first Tuesday in November.

5) Claimed that there was no such thing as the Texas Code of Military
Justice. Was proven wrong by several posters.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Y%25d49.32026%24eH2.15571692%40ruti.visi.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=j4aqkuc8uu3um0o6kts357m9bkovj0e9uh%404ax.com
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/go/go0043200toc.html

6) Claimed that Clinton is receiving $400,000 a year pension. Clinton's
salary was $200,000. It was not raised to $400,000 until Bush took
office. Clinton is getting approx. $150,000 a year pension.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4n8bluohr8e78pvo3tvb36kd0ckqe67mdv%404ax.com

7) Claimed that Clinton threatened to veto any defense appropriations
bill that included concurrent receipt for military retirees. Clinton
supported concurrent receipts. Bush is against it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4n8bluohr8e78pvo3tvb36kd0ckqe67mdv%404ax.com

8) Claimed that Clinton was offered bin Laden four times. There is only
one documented instance of bin Laden being offered to the U.S., but with
unacceptable strings attached. Spaz has never backed up his claim with
proof.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lod5lucjcru16g7cio3ee08n9pt47p0gda%404ax.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=h7giluoch9eahh8khlk85i3vk3a911r9t9%404ax.com

9) Claimed that it was illegal for Hillary Clinton to run for Congress
because she was a member of Bill Clinton's administration. He never did
say what position in Bill's administration she held.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=03l2lus85e8t5gql7kv94rvu1mua80n47i%404ax.com

10) Claimed Bill Clinton was the only President to have been impeached.
Didn't understand that being impeached is the accusation that leads to a
trial.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6eolkuc95ipc3vq4te7gq67b3dskc80cda%404ax.com

11) On 8/23/02 claimed that a Zogby poll had Bush's re-election number
at 69%. The 8/22/02 Zogby poll has Bush's re-election number at 41%.

12) Claimed that CO2 emissions are going down by referring to an IPCC
study. The study actually shows that emissions are going up.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=la1qmu82dpqckdiimv2v7dkggbtn67kqds%404ax.com
http://www.unep.ch/ipcc/pub/spm22-01.pdf

13) Claimed that four women died from taking RU-486. Two women died,
and it was from complications from taking RU-486 AND misoprostol at the
same time. In the same post he claimed that there was an obstetrician
group called AAPLO. A Google search for the group comes up blank.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D6ECDC1.5000102%40tampabay.rr.com

14) Claimed that California Hispanics endorsed Simon. No Hispanic group
has come out to support Simon at the time he made the claim. A poll at
the time showed that Hispanic voters preferred Davis 80% to 20% over
Simon.

15) Claimed that Gore had a bodyguard while in Vietnam. Was proven
wrong by posters citing direct quotes from the person Spaz claimed was
the bodyguard.

16) Claimed Gore didn't win the popular vote in the 2000 election. Gore
won the popular vote by more than 538,000 votes.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=hrel3vgbu242fnbtf3t3b3qilppk9c8t68%404ax.com

17) Claimed there was no gaps in Bush's National Guard records that
showed Bush went AWOL. Was proven wrong by many posters.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=IoCcndiTWuqGIR2iU-KYvw%40wideopenwest.com

18) Claimed Gore was never closer than 100 miles from the front in
Vietnam. Ignoring the fact that there was no front in 'Nam, Gore was at
Khe Sanh which was 15 miles away from the DMZ.

19) Claimed Gore's commanding officer said that Gore was never closer
than 100 miles from the front in 'Nam. See #18. Naturally, spaz never
provided a cite.

20) Claimed that Janet Reno appointed Starr to the Whitewater
investigation. Starr was appointed by a panel of federal judges to
replace Fiske.

21) Claimed that ABC-CBS-NBC all reported that Starr was appointed to
the Whitewater investigation by Reno. (See #20). He never provided proof
of his statement (starting to see a pattern?).

22) Claimed that a person receives a "copywrite" (his spelling, and
remember he's a lawyer) for an invention. Any high school student can
tell you that you receive a patent for an invention.

23) Claimed that a person receives a "copywrite" (his spelling, and
remember he's a lawyer) for an invention and that the "copywrite" lasts
for 200 years. Can you pick out the three mistakes in this one? No fair
looking at #22.

24) Claimed that there were no Palestinians before 1942.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bnp6mvs3s574i971nfslh8mh4hjhv6in34%404ax.com

25) Claimed that California did not count all the votes from the 2000
presidential election. The state's web site, with a statement from
Republican Bill Jones, proves him wrong. http://vote2000.ss.ca.gov/

26) Claimed that the GAO report, GAO-02-122, was not on-line. Was
proven wrong by fâhç. Spaz later cited the report in another thread.
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ufgiou0ho5vbvblknmc2d396714kal0d85%404ax.com

27) Claimed to have spoken to Prodigy's Houston headquarters on
Saturday, September 22nd. Prodigy's headquarters are closed on
Saturdays. In a Sunday post, spaz said that he was GOING to call on
Monday.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=4fcsqu4dsi4eqa5bc229dnrknvjksv1c96%404ax.com

28) Claimed that Carnahan was trailing badly in the polls in Missouri.
All the polls had her neck and neck with her opponent.

29) Claimed that the NJ Supreme Court would rule against Torricelli by
a 3-2 or 4-1 decision. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Torricelli by
a unanimous decision.

30) Claimed that Lautenberg would not be allowed on the NJ ballot,
after gaining approval by the state supreme court, until the decision
was affirmed by a federal court. You would think that a "lawyer" would
know that Lautenberg is on the ballot until a federal court rules that
he can't be on the ballot.

31) On October 8, 2002, spaz repeated the lie about Ken Lay sleeping in
the WH during Clinton's administration. Makes you wonder if spaz is
capable of learning.

32) Claimed that a story in Salon about Thomas White and Enron was
pulled because it was a lie. The story was pulled because it
plagiarized.

33) On October 10, 2002, spaz claimed that the 3rd US District Court
was going to reverse the New Jersey SC decision. There was no cite, and
a thorough search of news sources found no reference. Update May 25,
2003: Still no cite and a search of the court docket lists no case.

34) Claimed that SCOTUS decisions could be overrode by Congress. The
laws can be changed to be legal, but decisions cannot be overridden.

35) Claimed there was no link between Thomas White and Enron. White was
an Enron executive for 11 years.

36) Claimed that DNA can withstand temperatures up to 1500 degrees
without breaking down. Lead melts at 900 degrees and he wants us to
believe DNA is more resilient than lead?

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=l92qqu4rd14csle5u4em1cudctt081nqh8%404ax.com

37) Claimed that it is illegal to have mandatory gun registration.
Oops, California has such a program.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=p7s7vugii5p5k9j30uqcml3vekvq9ltksp%404ax.com

38) Claimed that the California Teachers Association endorsed Simon for
governor. Oops, they endorsed Davis:
http://www.cta.org/press/press_releases/council_endorses_contact.html

39) Claimed that he could obtain both biological weapons and nuclear
material to make a bomb by filing an application and paying an import
fee.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=XWZs9.28340%24jF2.18253%40news1.central.cox.net

40) Claimed that the Bible proves that the Jews were not an occupying
force in the Palestinian lands. The Bible states that the Jews were a
nomadic group who never had a legitimate claim to any land.

41) Posted the web site http://www.batf.gov as a cite. There is no web
site called batf.gov. BATF is under the usdoj.gov web site.

42) Claimed that when Grey Davis was first elected, well, here it is in
his own words: "there was almost a 12 TRILLION DOLLAR valid surplus
according to the California State Department of the Treasury". Steveo
promptly demonstrated what a liar spaz is.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=v4rvevk9ke8cakil5s3ogio5g044rahv31%404ax.com

43) Claimed that a Democrat started the Davis recall in California. The
recall was started by Ted Costa, a Republican.

44) Claimed that California had been in Democrat hands since 1963. The
California Assembly, and governorship, was in Republican hands from 1992
(I believe) to 1998. It was during this time, specifically in 1996, that
the energy deregulation plan was passed by the Republican Assembly and
signed into law by Pete Wilson, a Republican.

45) Claimed that government classes in all US schools teach that
Article V of the Constitution requires three fourths of the House
and Senate to send a Consitutional Amendment to the states for
approval. Only two thirds are required.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=njd0tugdl1vp40rgjl610hi400ugptgbnb%404ax.com
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlev.html

46) Claimed that it was unconstitutional for Diane Feinstein to run for
governor while she was still in the Senate. Maybe Spaz meant that it was
illegal for a Democrat to do it since several Republicans (Pete Wilson &
Frank Murkowski to name two) have done it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=01tvev0rp72joues93n6vhm03d1dpd9j16%404ax.com

47) Claimed on July 15, 2003 that Ohio was running a budget surplus. It
was running a $1.2 billion deficit.
http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=cab7hv0v0cdb17433d9t663ruqta5en5cg%404ax.com
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/06/12/loc_ohbudget12.html

48) Claimed that Bush increased VA budget by $3 billion, when actually
it was a $6.2 billion reduction. Claimed VA web site proved his statements.
Steveo gave the link that proved him wrong.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cpcgivgp7qsnv9de1jqkqse9gajeqqki4q%404ax.com
http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Veterans_up_in_arms_042403.htm

49) Claimed the first computer was invented by the US military in the
1950's.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=0vhb3vkd458jbcnvab279c28ckpnij8h4t%404ax.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=pnlfrv4ikciho25d5bn8j4sgcnj8d3aseo%404ax.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E35A5F3.6000007%40nospam.com

50) Claimed Howard Dean committed fraud to get out of military service. Was
proven to be a liar.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3fd4aa9a%240%2460269%24a32e20b9%40news.nntpservers.com

51) Claimed there is a commission called the UN Commission on Climate
Control and Global Warming. The commission doesn't exist.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6paptvc6t38nn90mvo6mk251q9q3r1istq%404ax.com

52) Claimed that Simon & Schuster was laying off 4,000 workers. S&S
announced job cuts of 75 people. BTW, S&S only have 1,600 total
workers.

53) Posted quotes from famous people and changed the quotes to disparage
Democrats. Kenneth- provided the unedited quotes which proved spaz
lied, once again.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=h368ov4oantl8gsth45oldefnvqsq77jai%404ax.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=oX2hb.16042%24Ri4.5392070%40news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

54) Claimed Dr. Sallie Baliunas of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics is one of the top three Climatologists in the world. Dr.
Baljunas is an Astrophysicist.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6paptvc6t38nn90mvo6mk251q9q3r1istq%404ax.com

55) Claimed military personnel have to pledge an oath that they are not
gay. It's obvious spaz has never served in the military.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=e9eptvkoe7t5so31f0jlulo8bis0e7dj6t%404ax.com

56) Claimed AOL censored Newsmax.com. They don't. I tested this.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=dds8vv4hfn2hbktvhnqee261sqn6hjcrv7%404ax.com

57) Claimed Cheney's energy committee meetings included environmental
groups. It is well documented there were no environmental groups
invited.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=92j80052uq71u51a25i9s8n4986ae98lmk%404ax.com

58) Claimed Howard Dean's energy committee meetings did not include any
environmental groups (see cite in 55). A two second Google search proved
him a liar.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/28/elec04.prez.dean.energy.ap/

59) Claimed Dick Gephardt was under investigation for missing votes in
the Senate and that he would have to repay part of his salary.
This fantastical statement needs no further comment.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cmeo00978l6voa1ip6jproahfvmdoa20j0%404ax.com

60) Claimed Clinton was responsible for Canada's HIV tainted blood
scandal. That would be a little difficult since the scandal occurred in
the 1980's.
http://www.aegis.com/news/re/1996/RE9604F3.html

61) Claimed recess appointments to the bench was illegal. You'd think a
"lawyer" would know the Constitution specifically allows for them.
"The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen
during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall
expire at the end of their next Session" (II, 2, 3).
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7j0d105jcs001tlres3gn01nb47b5cogt9%404ax.com

62) Claimed Clinton appointed John "Yee" (should be Lee, but Asians all
look the same to spaz) to the bench during a Congressional recess, and
"Yee" was on the bench for 4 years because Clinton used force to keep
him on. This would be a little difficult since "Yee" was appointed in
1998, and Clinton left office in 2001. Spaz never did explain why the
Republican controlled Congress didn't reverse the appointment in January
1999 when they reconvened.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7j0d105jcs001tlres3gn01nb47b5cogt9%404ax.com

63) Claimed that Edwards won the popular vote over Kerry in Wisconsin.
Kerry
had 40 percent, Edwards had 34 percent, Dean 18 percent, Rep. Dennis
Kucinich
of Ohio 3 percent and Al Sharpton 2 percent.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=***@4ax.com

64) Claimed Terry "McAuliff" (should be "McAuliffe" but Spaz can't get
anything right) was chairman of the DNC during the time period when
Democrats
lost control of both houses of Congress. McAuliffe wasn't elected as
chairman
the DNC until February 2001, which was *after* Republicans had a majority of
seats in Congress.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=***@4ax.com
http://www.democrats.org/about/bios/mcauliffe.html

65) Claimed police could issue warrants, and didn't need a judge to do
so. You'd think a "lawyer" would know better.

66) Claimed that the Gov Roy Barnes *illegally* changed the Georgia
State flag.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4jk5uu8dmjt7hou5pue2h4slfjmvpin9vt%404ax.com

67) Claimed that "syr.edu" in a usenet message header's *path* means
that the author posted from there.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=qvss5vg8iq1h84mo6205q4ihrjk1vvtv7n%404ax.com

68) Claimed that the 2001 version of the Georgia State flag was not
recognized by the Library of Congress.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9p95uusav4lqlt696pkhicp2odbvnrmhba%404ax.com

69) Claimed Clinton wasn't impeached for lying. The articles of
impeachment specifically state Clinton was being impeached for lying in
the Paula Jones case.

70) Claimed Clinton was being impeached for reasons of "national
security". Huh? See # 68.

71) Claimed Clinton and Gore requested their testimony in the 9/11
intelligence investigation be sealed. There was no such request made.

72) Claimed Bush has not impeded the 9/11 intelligence investigation.
It took several weeks of negotiations just to get Bush to testify for
ONE hour.

73) Claimed there was no record of Kerry being treated for his injuries
in which he was awarded Purple Hearts for.
He was immediately proven to be lying.

74) Claimed Squeeky Frome was sentenced to life imprisonment for issuing
death threats against president Ford. She was sentenced to life for
attempted assassination when she pulled a gun on Ford.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2p2q90h0jcq9j7to00044ljmc3r2ckm4i1%404ax.com

75) Claimed Merle Haggard had never wavered in his support for Bush. A
simple Google search proved Spaz was lying.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=r74q90han2nsbd6bmk0d2p0ne0btug87mf%404ax.com

76) Claimed on 5/8/2004 that Zogby showed Bush leading Kerry by 9 points.
The most recent published Zogby poll at that time showed Kerry leading Bush,
or tied with him if Nader was included.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=tv4q909eqcsfvmn5e9i2m7u302tbh9ppgk%404ax.com
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=821

77) Caught red-handed forging a post and replying to it
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=NAanc.32896%***@fed1read05
Johnny Bravo
2004-07-24 21:05:51 UTC
John Kerry narrowly trails President Bush in the battle for the 270
electoral votes needed to win the White House, as he makes his case at the
Democratic National Convention this week to topple the Republican incumbent.

Tall hurdles remain in his path, including Electoral College math that
favors Bush.

"It's a tough, tough map. I think it's going to be a close race," said
Democratic strategist Tad Devine, who helped plot Al Gore (news - web
sites)'s state-by-state strategy in 2000 and plays the same role for Kerry.

"But looking back four years, we're much stronger now. I think we're going
into this convention in great shape," he said.

With three months remaining in a volatile campaign, Kerry has 14 states and
the District of Columbia in his column for 193 electoral votes. Bush has 25
states for 217 votes, according to an Associated Press analysis of state
polls as well as interviews with strategists across the country.

Both candidates are short of the magic 270 electoral votes. The margin of
victory will come from:

_TOSSUPS - Bush and Kerry are running even in 11 states with a combined 128
electoral votes. Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico,
Wisconsin, Michigan and West Virginia are the toughest battlegrounds. Two
other tossups, Pennsylvania and Oregon, could soon move to Kerry's column.

_LEAN KERRY - Maine, Minnesota and Washington (a combined 25 electoral
votes) favor Kerry over Bush by a few percentage points. Gore carried them
in 2000.

_LEAN BUSH - North Carolina, Colorado, Louisiana, Arizona, Virginia,
Arkansas and Missouri (a combined 73 electoral votes) give Bush modest
leads. He won all seven in 2000.

All total, 21 states are in play. Some will bounce between "lean" to
"tossup" throughout the campaign.

____

Four years ago, Bush won 30 states and their 271 electoral votes - one more
than needed. Gore, who won the popular vote, claimed 20 states plus the
District of Columbia for 267 electoral votes.

Since then, reapportionment added electoral votes to states with population
gains and took them from states losing people. The result: Bush's states are
now worth 278 electoral votes and Gore's are worth just 260.

Even if Kerry consolidates Gore's states, no easy task, the Democrat must
take 10 electoral votes from Bush's column to close the electoral vote gap.

Kerry's best prospects may be in the five tossup states won by Bush in 2000:
Ohio, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire and West Virginia.

Winning either Ohio's 20 electoral votes or Florida's 27 would do the trick.

Bush easily won Ohio in 2000, but its lagging economy puts the state in
play. Kerry must still reduce Bush's advantages among conservative, rural
voters. Florida should favor Bush a bit more than in 2000, partly because of
its relatively strong economy, but the war in Iraq (news - web sites) has
helped keep the race close.

Nevada and West Virginia have a combined 10 electoral votes, enough to close
the gap. New Hampshire, which neighbors Kerry's home state of Massachusetts,
has four.

West Virginia voted Democratic for decades until Bush made values an issue
in 2000; Kerry is stressing the theme this year. In Nevada, an influx of
Hispanics and the administration's push to use Yucca Mountain as a nuclear
waste site make the state tougher for Bush than in 2000.

Six of the 11 tossup states were won by Gore: Pennsylvania, Oregon,
Michigan, Iowa, New Mexico and Wisconsin. But the margin of victory was just
a few thousand votes in Iowa, New Mexico and Wisconsin - meaning Kerry has
his work cut out to keep them.

Of the three, Bush likes his chances best in Wisconsin, where he is
targeting rural voters in a bid to widen the electoral gap by 10 votes.

___

Flush with money and leading a united party, Kerry increased his odds by
expanding the playing field into a handful of GOP states that Bush easily
won in 2000, including Arkansas, Louisiana, Arizona, Virginia and Colorado.
Results have been mixed.

After testing the waters, Kerry pulled his ads from Arkansas and Louisiana,
and downgraded his focus on Virginia and Arizona. Hispanic voters make
Colorado a prime target, but Democrats acknowledge it's a tough state to
win.

"The race is still fundamentally tied, and the Electoral College map
reflects that," said Bush strategist Matthew Dowd. "But there is beginning
to be a slight tilt toward us with Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri and Arizona
no longer being seriously contested."

Kerry added another Republican-leaning state to his target list when he
chose Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) of North Carolina as his running
mate. Aides are divided over whether North Carolina will remain a
battleground through November, but its 15 electoral votes are too tempting
to ignore.

Missouri, a traditional battleground, recently moved to the Bush-leaning
category and is being written off by some Democrats. The Kerry campaign
reduced its ad campaign in the state after polls showed him consistently 4
to 6 percentage points behind Bush, with little room for improvement.

Republican advantages in rural Missouri and the fast-growing exurbs make the
state tough for Democrats, but Kerry will likely keep it on the table
through November in case the political winds shift. Besides, abandoning a
traditional battleground would be embarrassing.

The four-term Massachusetts senator has begun to gather strength in
traditionally Democratic states such as Maine, Minnesota and Washington. All
were tossups in the spring, but now lean toward Kerry. A good convention
could push Pennsylvania and Oregon into the lean-Kerry category.

Recent polls give Kerry an edge in both states, but strategists for Kerry
and Bush say the races are still tossup.

"There is an angry feeling toward the incumbent because of Iraq," said David
Sweet, who managed Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell's 2000 campaign. "I think
Kerry will win in the end, but that's partly based on an assumption of
things to come. It's close."

Of the states won by Gore, Pennsylvania is by far Bush's top target. The
president has spent millions of dollars in the state on commercials and has
visited it more than any other contested state - 30 trips since his
inauguration.

For Kerry, losing Pennsylvania would create a virtually insurmountable
electoral vote gap.

A vote for John Kerry would be very, very pleasing to America's enemies, as
changing from a VERY Strong president to one so goddamn ugly, would make us
look very, very weak!!
Tempest
2004-07-24 21:13:24 UTC
Post by Johnny Bravo
John Kerry narrowly trails President Bush in the battle for the 270
electoral votes needed to win the White House, as he makes his case at the
Democratic National Convention this week to topple the Republican incumbent.
Kerry is ahead in the electorial college according to most polls.

www.pollingreport.com
Post by Johnny Bravo
[...]
"Ignorance is an evil weed, which dictators may cultivate among their
dupes, but which no democracy can afford among its citizens."
- William H. Beveridge, 1944